Thursday, February 28, 2008

#19 Discovering Web 2.0 tools




I chose biblio.com, a bookselling site for new, used & rare books. Sites like this and abebooks.com.au are really useful tools in the library. I've often shown patrons how to use these sites as a way for them to get hold of copies of out of print titles when they don't have time to wait for an ILL, or there isn't a copy available for ILL.
However, can I say that I think this whole Learning 2.0 is a trap for people with no willpower? Naturally I had to explore the site, so I searched for a book I've been discussing with the dovegreyreaders, an online group I'm a member of. We've been discussing Helen Thomas' books about her husband, the poet Edward Thomas. This has led some of us to buy the Carcenet Press edition of the memoirs called Under Storm's Wing. I read these books years ago & became fascinated with the friendship between Edward & the writer Eleanor Farjeon (she wrote the poem Morning Has Broken and lots of childrens books). Eleanor wrote a memoir of Edward too, and, what do you know, it's there on biblio.com at an Australian bookseller. What a temptation! Will I succumb? Watch this space. In the meantime, here are photos of Edward & Eleanor.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Hello Brontegirl,

I think I may have discovered something even more addictive.....
checkout "Google Book Search" and the features available.....

http://books.google.com/

Cheers, Paul.